Thursday, October 22, 2009

10/9 - Pumpkin Patch

Earlier this month we went with a local homeschool group to our favorite pumpkin patch. There was an educational program that included learning about bees and how they're important to pumpkins, and about farming (planting, growing, harvesting and the various things that can affect each of those steps). Mykenzi was too shy to make any new friends, but other little girls did try talking to her. At one point while we were waiting to move to the next part of the day, Mykenzi was playing in the rocks/pebbles, pushing them around, making buildings, and a little girl asked if she could play with her, plopped right down beside her, and started playing in the rocks too. I didn't say anything because I wanted to see what Mykenzi would do, maybe if she thought I wasn't paying attention she would make a friend (because we're always pushing her to say hello when children approach her, and sometimes I think we push too hard). However, that didn't work either because Mykenzi got up, moved over to where I was standing, and sat down at my feet to play. I had to giggle to myself though when the little girl was persistent and moved over by Mykenzi to try to play with her again. I'm sure Mykenzi was relieved a few seconds later when our group was ready to move on. I feel for her because making friends isn't easy, and it's really bad when you're as shy as she is. It's funny though because if you know Mykenzi, you know she'll talk your ear off! Once she gets comfortable, she's like a totally different person, and she has an amazing personality. Looking back at the places where Mykenzi has made friends very easily, it's always been in a play place (like Chuck-E-Cheese and the play area at Chick-Fil-A), so maybe she needs to be in an environment like that to be more comfortable with meeting new kids. Our group does get together monthly at CEC, so maybe that's what we need to do.








Look at how Camden is holding Cohen's hand. That just melts my heart! We were so worried about Camden being jealous and resentful of Cohen, but he's been awesome. I have always tried not to push Cohen on Camden, since they first came to see us in the hospital, but I don't know if that helped Camden adjust to him or not. Camden stops playing a couple of times a day just to run over and kiss Cohen, no matter where Cohen is (my lap, the bumbo, the exersaucer, the swing, or laying in the floor), and it's just the sweetest thing.


Mykenzi was not happy about the rope swings in the barn, but she did try it. Jonmark says she's just like me because when he was little they couldn't get him out of the barn.


Camden tried it out and loved it!



Camden wasn't sure about this slide. He stood up at the top talking about "the bear" getting him. He's afraid of the dark still and when it's dark some where he'll say, "bear get me." He'll shut doors to dark rooms because he thinks there's a bear in there. We don't have any idea where he got that from.


Learning about planting, growing, and harvesting.





I had to take this picture of Camden because he has his tongue between his lips, which is what my dad always does when he's doing a difficult task. Camden does this a lot.






She doesn't look like she's having fun, but she really wanted to do this. It does look like fun. She was exhausted by this point I think.

1 comment:

The Carters said...

I LOVE the first picture of you with all three kids! And the one below that with the boys holding hands is too sweet!