Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten Homeschool

Mykenzi's first day of kindergarten homeschool was August 31. She was excited about starting kindergarten and about getting to stay home for it, and we tried to make it a little bit of a big deal for her. Jonmark fixed her sausage and french toast for breakfast, and she chose tacos for dinner (I made her whatever she wanted for dinner on the first days of preschool - not sure how that tradition will work out when Camden starts school too).

After breakfast, her crazy/silly daddy decided to pick her up
in the school bus, which she thought was hilarious.

She got in (so did Camden) and waved as he drove them
to the kitchen (the homeschool room is in the basement).

First we did the Pledge of Allegiance, which sounds dorky since we're homeschooling, but it's part of the VA Standards of Learning for Kindergarten so we do it every morning just to keep it fresh in her mind since she learned it in preschool. After the calendar, we have a discussion about the topic listed in her curriculum (changes every day), and then we move on to Math (seen above).


After Math we move on to Reading Comprehension, then she gets a short recess. After that, it's Reading Readiness (math and reading are a huge part of her curriculum, as it should be), then Phonemic Awareness. That's all basically her language arts for the day, and some where in those different lessons we have music to go along with it (CD of songs to sing), and this is Mykenzi enjoying the music portion of the lesson by dancing and singing. Camden really gets into this too, and that's okay because he's learning these songs and I've heard him singing them outside of homeschooling.


This math chart only goes to 31 (so does her curriculum), but the current VA SOLs for kindergarten require that a student count forward to 30 and backward from 10, unless they have already implemented the latest set of SOLs (website says they haven't, but my goals are set by the latest set - might as well) which requires a kindergartner to a) count forward to 100 and backward from 10, b) identify one more than a number an one less than a number, and c) count by 5s and 10s to 100. Well, with my assistance she did count to 100 today, but we certainly need to work on counting by 5s and 10s. If she could count by 10s then she wouldn't need my help counting to 100. She has the concept down, but doesn't know forty, fifty, sixty, etc. unless I say them and then she can continue the counting until she gets to the next tenth number. She already does basic math, so one more and one less than a number isn't a problem.


This was during the Arts & Crafts portion of our day. The curriculum is set up for 3 days of Arts & Crafts and 2 days of Science each week, but I think I'm going to supplement some things here. For one, I have a book of arts and crafts that Camden will be able to participate in and that she would enjoy, so I'll be adding those on certain days. Also, I'm researching a good kindergarten science experiment book because I think she needs more science, and what's more fun than actually seeing science in action. The other thing I want to see more of is Social Studies, so I'm researching that as well. I don't think she needs a lot of structure for that particular subject because her daily discussion portion of the lessons are pretty much SS subjects, but I want to make sure I fulfill the VA SOLs on all subjects, so I'll be supplementing here to make sure there aren't any gaps in her education. I think she'd also really enjoy more SS because she likes learning about people and geography.
***
Finally she ends the day with games and activities, which are more about getting physical and having fun than anything else.
***
There are also lessons that pop up sporadically throughout the curriculum for Technology, which are lessons that she actually receives on the computer about how to use the computer. She really enjoyed this first lesson yesterday, and even received a little certificate when she mastered the "select, drag, and double-click" skills. All simple things she already knew how to do (for the most part, but that double-clicking stumped her for a while), but it's cool that they're already getting her on the computer.

No comments: