On May 25th we went to the National Zoo. Mykenzi had no idea where we were going until we were half way there, so it was really neat to surprise here with a few hours at the zoo and the sights of the city. We haven't been to D.C. or to the zoo since Mykenzi was 11 months old, so there were lots of new sights for her to take in.
***
I've often heard the Washington Monument compared to a pencil, but Mykenzi says it looks like a big finger pointing up. This doesn't have anything to do with the monument, but it just made me remember that she also spells her name out loud like this "M-Y-K-E-N-Z-up and a dot."
Because I knew I'd be shooting in Full Auto all day in order to just enjoy the day with Jonmark and the kids instead of concentrating on getting perfect pictures, I took a moment to switch to Manual Mode and shoot this waterfall (man made, but still pretty) while Jonmark studied a map to plan out our journey through the zoo.***
When we first arrived in D.C., we hit a traffic jam that stopped us for 12 minutes, and while that usually frustrates drivers, it was actually a very patriotic moment and it felt very appropriate. Memorial Day weekend is when Rolling Thunder rolls through D.C.; hundreds, I don't know it might be thousands, of motorcyles travel there, which we knew of, but we didn't expect to sit on the road waiting for them all to cross the bridge behind us and merge onto the road in front of us. Camden was of course asleep, but Mykenzi was wide awake and loving every minute of this. I really hope we don't have a future motorcycle babe on our hands because she's always loved motorcycles, but she never complained about sitting there for even 1 second during that 12 minutes and instead pointed out every single motorcycle with the American Flag flying on the back. A lot of people also got out of there cars to stop and watch this motorcycle parade of sorts, and all you could hear was the Rolling Thunder. It was actually beautiful.
1 comment:
Mykenzi's expressions had me cracking up! Too funny! Miss you sweet girl!
Post a Comment